Last Updated on
You are going to travel by train from Ho Chi Minh City to Hoi An Town? Well, I have included everything you need to know in this article. Let’s check it out!
Going from Ho Chi Minh by train to Hoi An is very interesting!
You are in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam and want to visit the ancient town of Hoi An by train? If you do, there are quite a few things you need to know before you depart. Let’s explore this brief yet useful guide on Train from Saigon to Hoi An Town!
How to travel by train from Ho Chi Minh City to Hoi An Town
Step 1: Take the right train from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang City
What kind of ticket should you buy?
In Vietnam, there are totally four train ticket classes: soft beds (the most expensive), stiff beds, soft seats, and stiff seats (the most economic choice).
It takes nearly 16 hours to travel on this route, so I recommend that you should go for soft beds. Would you not certainly want to sit for 16 hours on a stiff wooden bench.
Also, you can pay more for air-conditioned wagons in hot weather (from around June to September).
I advise you to take the SE2 train because it is the most speedy train traveling at night. Besides, the SE4 is another good alternative though it can take a bit more time.
How to book a train ticket
To check the train schedule, available seats, and fares, you can go to https://dsvn.vn.
You should buy tickets directly at the Saigon train station (close to District 1), or book a ticket on www.dsvn.vn or http://vetau.com.vn. It is feasible to buy from other agents for more convenience; however, you need to pay a higher price. I advise you to work with official agents and payment points listed on the website: saigonrailway.com.vn.
The fee varies depending on times and suppliers. However, a one-way sleeper ticket should cost around 900.000 Vietnam Dong.
Step 2: Take a bus from Da Nang Railway Station to the ancient Hoi An Town
As there is no railways station in Hoi An, you can only stop at the Da Nang Railway Station and travel to Hoi An by car.
Nonetheless, it will only take you about 20.000 Vietnam Dong and 45 minutes to travel by bus. And the distance from the train station to the bus stop is only a 3-min walk.
You can travel by other means such as a coach or a taxi, which is faster but will cost you much more.
So, to sum up, traveling from Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An by train will cost you approximately 1 million Vietnam Dong! (~ $45)
Bonus tips: The rules on luggage
The weight and size of free hand luggage for each passenger included with a train ticket are regulated as below:
- The weight of your luggage must be less than 20 kilograms;
- About the size of your luggage: it must not exceed 0.8m in length, 0.5m in width, and 0.16m3 in volume.
If you exceed the above volume, you will have to purchase additional tickets according to these rules:
+ If the train staff discover this before the train runs
- If the luggage compartments still have space, the passenger department of the transport unit is responsible for guiding you to carry out necessary procedures, load luggage, and charge based on the basic fare.
- If there is no space in the luggage compartment but the wagon still has enough capacity, you will have to buy an additional ticket at the cost of 1.3 times the basic cost for the equivalent luggage on that train, from the station to the destination indicated on the ticket.
You have to supervise this luggage by yourself on your passenger wagon.
+ If the train staff discover this on the way:
- You must buy an additional ticket at the cost of 1.3 times the basic cost for the equivalent luggage on that train, calculated from the departure to the arrival station indicated on the ticket.
You have to preserve this luggage by yourself on your passenger wagon.
+ If the train staff discover this at the arrival station:
- You must buy an additional ticket equal to 1.3 times of the basic freight of luggage corresponding to that train, starting from the departure station stated on the ticket to the destination station.
Note: You cannot board the trains in the following cases:
- You do not comply with the regulations of the Vietnam railway industry;
- You carry banned goods such as dangerous things, weapons and support tools without licenses, corpses, stinky goods that give off unbearable smells and make the wagon dirty, live animals, bulky objects that hinder travel and damage equipment on the wagon;
- You are drunk or have mental illnesses;
- You have infectious diseases and can adversely affect the health of those around;
- Other force majeure reasons.
So I have provided you with all of the essential information you need to travel by train from Ho Chi Minh City to Hoi An Town.
Remember to comply with the regulations of the Vietnam railways industry, prepare your luggage and necessary documents carefully, and buy a suitable train ticket
Thanks for reading and wish you to have a happy tour from Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An!